We LOVE summer, but we hate the effects the heat can have on our cars! According to State Farm Insurance, during the summer months, your car’s interior air temperatures can reach upwards of 40°C, and the surfaces exposed to direct sunlight can reach 55°C! But creating an unbearably hot interior isn’t the only thing the summer weather is doing to your car. The heat and sun can substantial damage your car’s finish and your engine.
At Jones Junction Body Shop & Collision Center, we want you to be happy and comfortable in your car no matter the season or weather. So we’ve come up with a list of tips to protect your car during the summer months!
Tips for your car’s exterior:
- Check your tire pressure. The combination of hot pavement and underinflated tires can easily cause a blowout. It is important to check your tire pressure often during the summer months to ensure they are maintaining the manufacturer’s recommended pressure.
- Wash your car regularly. Summer weather can cause your car’s paint to fade and crack. By washing your car frequently, you can remove dirt and dust that cause scratches and dull your shine.
- Wax your car after your wash. By applying a layer of wax to your car, a barrier is created to protect your finish from the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Think of this almost as sunscreen for your car!
Tips for your car’s interior:
- Cover your interior. Getting into your car after its been parked in the summer heat and sun can be uncomfortable and even painful. We suggest covering your seats and steering wheel, especially if your interior is a dark color or a leather material. You can use anything from a towel to a sheet you have on hand.
- Condition your leather interior. If you have leather seats and you leave them exposed to direct sunlight, cracks and tears can develop over time. Keeping them conditioned with a leather conditioner can help avoid this.
- Use a windshield protector. This is another way to keep your interior cool while parked as well as avoid sun damage.
- Park in the shade. This may seem obvious! But parking in a garage or seeking out that perfectly shaded spot in the mall parking lot is worth it when it comes to protecting your interior from direct sunlight.
Protecting the mechanics of your car:
- Make sure your AC unit works, and use it! If it’s been a while since you had your air conditioning system looked at by a mechanic, schedule a service today at Jones! We can make sure everything is working properly so you wont get stuck in the summer heat.
- Your car’s battery. High temperatures can cause your car to work harder and create more stress on your car’s battery. It is important to check your battery on a regular basis to avoid failure.
A little preventative maintenance can go a long way in the summer months. It is important to keep up with your car factory-scheduled maintenance. So if you have any questions about keeping your car comfortable and safe during the summer season, give them a call to schedule a check up!